Sunday, December 7, 2008

O-O post #3

On the door to my room is a hanger, on that hanger is a couple of coats, some scarves, and a shirt that I wear when it's just a little bit nipply. One of those coats that has been my constant companion since midway through my senior year of highschool is black leather. it's fitted for a girl just bigger than my size, so the shoulders line up with mine, but it's just slimming enough to conform to my hourglass-esque male figure. It's missing a button, the the first of three going down the front. It's got little tears at the cuff and string coming out around the neck line, the signs of constant use. Also around the neck and down the front are little buttons, which for the longest time I had assumed were just extras in case the front buttons fell off. Sometime last spring I wore it into the coffee shop which I call home (if you've been keeping up with my blog, you'll know what I'm talking about). I ran into my friend Kate 'Isabel' Sliker. It was from her that I received the coat a year before on a coach bus traveling from nursing home to church to obscure suburban highschool on a choir tour in the Chicago Area. She had opted to ware a sweatshirt when lifting things to and from the bus at this particular stop and left her coat on the seat. Not wanting to dig out my own overly large winter garb on this bright spring morning, I did what any good upstanding Catholic school choir boy would do. Steal and wear some girls leather jacket (she later agreed to let me keep it as long as she could use my hat). She informed me in the coffee shop that the coat, which was far less sheen and feminine than when it had adorned her shoulders, had another piece to it. I had been walking around for the better part of a year with that coat, going to parties, being avoided in alleys, walking down the dark college town streets with cut off gloves (that are never far from the pockets) marking it with my soul, my scent, my city-boy pedestrian smokey coffeeshop essence beleiving it to be a mans coat she had picked up at a thrift store.

The coat, however was from hot topic, and had huge faux fur ruffles that went around the neck and armholes of bright, acidic red. it'll cost me another hat, she says, before I can sport that. Don't tell.

No comments: